Saturday, October 20, 2018

FRIDAY AT THE FORGE

Good Rainy Saturday morning with a temperature of 9C here in our town. Part of today will be spent working on the A2 Program for the Cookie Club tomorrow afternoon. 
Thursday evening we went to visit Dave & Marie Currie and the Kanata Squares where we had a great time meeting and dancing with friends and making new friends with the newer members of the club, with the highlight being, a surprise visit and dance with Richard Charman (fromer Ottawa Caller) now living in BC, and in town for a few days. 

Someone asked me one time, what I would do if I was to ever retire from Square Dance Calling, to which I answered, "there are many things I would like to do, I wouldn't know where to start and anyway I haven't retired from calling yet". Now a couple of years later, what do you know, surprisingly and with our friends Lyal & Cathy's guidance the first was to see if I could learn to play golf and although I am not a good golfer and likely never will be, I sure enjoy the game. Another was to learn how to draw or sketch, some of which you may have seen posted here from time to time. My latest adventure is spending some time exploring my youth while working at the forge and anvil. Today that thought, shared with my brother a few weeks ago turned into reality, as our new Majestic Three Burner Deluxe Gas Forge arrived Tuesday and yesterday was my first day on this adventure of Blacksmithing. WOW! What an absolutely funnest day ever, being with my brother and playing at the forge just like we did 65 years ago. However, I was sure worn-out by the time I got home and spent most of the evening sleeping in my chair. Here are a few photos of the task of making a Holdfast, which is a steel device heated and forged, to be used on the anvil to hold your work piece in place while you mark, punch, or chisel it. Not a very difficult piece of work but a ton of fun making it and making it fit and work on the anvil.



So now it's Saturday morning I feel great and ready for the next round. Anyone wanting to know what I might do (when and/or if), I ever retire from calling. The answer is, I'll be sketching or blacksmithing in the fall and winter, camping, golfing or riding my bike, in the spring and summer or pursuing some new yet to be discovered dream.
That's it for today so take care of yourself and each other and I'll see you on the Dance Floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment