Saturday, June 1, 2019

FRIDAY AT THE FORGE

Good morning readers, Friday at the Forge was very busy today, with three projects on the go. Project #1 was to rebuild a campfire cooking grill, which I didn’t take a picture of, but it was 30” x 28” with 3 layers of expanded metal welded to the top and bottom which were  completely burned and rusted out. The expanded metal I cut off and cleaned the frame at home, which took a couple of hours. At the shop using 3 pieces of 1” square 100 wall tubing 30” long we welded them to the underside of the grill and using 2 bbq grills welded them to the top of the grill and we had a very good open-fire cooking grill. If anyone is looking for an open fire cooking grill 28” x 30”, we will make you one for $150.00 that will outlast anything you can buy in a store.
My next project was to finish the 2 fire-pokers I didn’t finish last week, so with some time left before lunch I finished them. They available for $20.00 each, if you want one. Now for the last project to do today was to start a new knife. Starting with a piece of Spring Steel 3” x 4” x 3/8, a lot of heat and a good power hammer, we managed to get it roughed out to the basic shape.

Our normal routine is to go to Embrun for lunch, the same guys are there almost every Friday and we all chat about the weather and the crops and the gossip from the forging shop. Yesterday we were talking about large equipment and a picture of Chris’s John Deere tractor out in Stony Plains, one guy asked why I go to Stony Plain, so I told him the short version of the reason but did use Gavin’s name, which turned out that the guy I was chatting with actually knew Gavin and had skydived with him in Embrun. Wow, it sure is a small world.
That’s all I have for today, take care & I’ll see you when I’m older.





No comments:

Post a Comment