Saturday, May 4, 2019

FRIDAY AT THE FORGE

Wow! Yesterday was Friday all ready. First things first Judy is safely in Italy with her best friend Lois and having a grand time, in good temperatures, and fantastic food. I on the other hand stayed at home, to hold down the fort and continue my self imposed forced labour, of working at the forge.

The project this week was to start making a Bowie Knife, Jim Bowie was born in Kentucky on April 10 1796 and died at the Battle of The Alamo in February 1836. Although Jim was not a Square Dancer, nor a caller, we did name the call Alamo Style after that great fight and I'm sure when Square Dancers hear the call "Allemande Left in the Alamo Style" they think of poor old Jim Bowie, and his big old knife. There are many versions of this legionary Bowie Knife and we picked one, in hopes of making something similar. I drew it out and cut it out, set it on a 1/8 piece of sheet stock and drew the image on it. Dave who is great with the zip cut, cut it our as the template. while I started forging a piece of 1/2 inch Spring Steel 2" wide and 10" long and hammering it into the desired shape. 
In the images above you can see my drawing, the templet on the right, and the very rough shape of what will become our Bowie Knife on the left in the lower picture. To get this far was a full day project for both of us, and we are very happy with both our progress and our results. We have learned a great deal about Blacksmithing since we started in October of 2018, with lots left to learn in the future.
That's all I have for today, Take care of yourself and each other and I'll see you when I'm older.

No comments:

Post a Comment