Friday, November 9, 2018

FRIDAY AT THE FORGE

Good Friday At The Forge afternoon, it is cold outside and it is snowing here in my town, with a temperature of 0 C and a 30 km/h wind out of the East makes it feel like -6 C, brrrrrr I am not happy about that.

 Well today was Friday at the Forge and what a great day it was to be in the shop, with the forge running full tilt and my hammer arm trying to fall off my shoulder, whilst the sweat ran off my forehead and into my eyes, with Willie, Waylon & Merle singing on the radio, & my Brother and I singing right along with them. Man! I am so lucky. Someone suggested I should post some pictures of what I was doing so here they are.
Take a length of Flat stock 3/4" X 1/4" and cut it in half so now I have 2 pieces.
Then heat them and hammer the shape you want into one end, these will eventually become V-Bit Tongs. Next the little ends at the right end, are split  in half, 1/8th" on each side, half way through the 3/4 width of the stock, with a  hot-chisel because they are red-hot. Now it's time to draw out the Reins (handles) which is the longer section to the left of the curved part. I start by hammering them to be square, then to optogon, and finally round or as close to round as I could get.
 Once the reins are shaped close to what I want, it's time to make a hole in each Boss and install and beat in the Rivet.
The Rivet being installed and the tongs adjusted to open, close and firmly hold a piece of red-hot square or round bar that I want to work on. We now have a set of Hand Forged Blacksmith V-Bit Tongs, and a very tired right arm and shoulder and wrist. (I can still hold a microphone).
My Tongs are completed, except for a little adjusting with a few taps here and there and some fine tuning and the job is complete and it will be on to the next project. 

So there you have my story of Friday At The Forge. Take care of yourself and each other and I'll see you on the Dance Floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment